In simple terms, we believe that a better, fairer world is possible – a world in which everyone’s needs are met in a way which is environmentally sustainable, economically responsible and socially inclusive.
Wood is an amazing material and is a genuinely renewable resource. A local, wood-based economy can – and must – play a vital role in the transition to this world we want to live in.
Making wood workLocally sourced timber, converted into woodfuels and other useful products for the local market, is an efficient and fundamental element of this wood-based economy. Our sourcing strategy and integrated activities allow us to make a positive impact on the region’s waste and carbon emissions. Through our holistic approach, we aim to make the best possible use of our local timber resource, some of which would otherwise not be used in an environmentally efficient manner – i.e. not used to its full potential, becoming a waste, or travelling long distances.
We have received various grants in the past, and in order to deliver the TreeStation benefits in the long run, we aim to run it as a financially self-sustaining project.
- Reduce the overall volume of wood not being used in an environmentally efficient manner in the North West – i.e. not used to its full potential, becoming a waste, or travelling long distances – through our holistic approach to wood ‘waste’ management
- Reliably supply a range of high quality woodfuel products which optimally balance cost, high energy content and minimal smoke emissions
- Encourage and support the uptake of sustainable biomass heat
- Reliably supply a range of timber and other wood products, reducing the need for imported wood in the local market
- Become a centre of local excellence in sustainable treework and woodland management, helping to maximise the benefits of woodlands
- Provide fair employment and training for local people
- Reliably produce a renewable energy source which is affordable and practical for lower-income groups
- Support local businesses (and preferentially co-operatives and ethically-minded small businesses) in our trading relationships
- Support small treework contractors by providing cost effective disposal solutions for arisings, as well as providing access to specialist plant and machinery that can make their businesses safer and more efficient
- Implement innovative projects relating to our activities, and thereby support ethical initiatives especially when based on the principles of industrial symbiosis
- Support local organisations working towards a more sustainable & socially just society in a variety of ways